National Committeewoman Candidate
Aloha Hawai`i Democrats `Ohana:
My name is Melodie Aduja. I am respectfully asking for your support for National Committeewoman. Please visit my website at melodieaduja.com to learn more about my unwavering devotion for the Democratic Party of Hawai`i. I am also available at (808) 258-8889.
I believe I can add to the distinguished list of Hawai`i National Committeewomen as a successor with legislative experience. Kate Stanley, our former National Committeewoman served as a Hawai`i State Representative. I am the only candidate who has served in the Hawai`i State Senate. I represented Senate District 23, which includes Kane`ohe to Kawela Bay, Kahuku. I bring to the position of National Committeewoman: (1) Senatorial experience, (2) litigation and legal experience, (3) Party leadership experience, (4) Green New Deal – Hawai`i Legislative Package experience, and (5) Medicare for All, Universal Healthcare experience.
The objectives of a National Committeewoman are two-fold from the National level to the State level. On the National level, we need to: (1) Unify the Party and elect our Democratic Nominee Joe Biden, (2) Maintain our House Majority, and (3) Flip the Senate to achieve a Senate Majority. On the State Level, we need to: (1) Work together with Party Leadership to advance our Platform Planks and Resolutions, (2) Unify the Party through inclusion and diversity, and (3) Fundraise to maintain our Democratic infrastructure and enhance communications to attract new members and talent.
I will listen, act, and lead; my record with the Party shows that I have represented and will continue to represent the Party to the best of my abilities.
It is an honor and a privilege to be a candidate for National Committeewoman. The Democratic National Committee (DNC) is responsible, among other things, for coordinating strategies to support Democratic Party candidates throughout the country for Local, State, and National office. It was founded in 1828 and is the oldest political party in the world. For the past 60 years, the Democratic Party has been leading in advancing civil rights including women's rights, pro-choice, LGBTQIA+ rights, same-sex marriage, and death with dignity.
For this year's election, the Democratic Party is focusing on:
* Civil liberties,
* Social equality,
* Corporate governance reform,
* Environmental protection,
* Expansion of social programs,
* Affordable college tuition,
* Universal health care,
* Consumer protection,
* Campaign finance reform,
* LGBTQIA + rights,
* Criminal justice and Immigration reform,
* Stricter gun laws, and
* Legalization of marijuana.
I plan to assist in the events that are changing the world as we know it today:
- COVID-19 PANDEMIC: Now more than ever, we need Medicare for All, for an adequate healthcare system. We must improve and enhance telecommuting, work from home, and access to technology for public education.
- RACIAL JUSTICE: Racism has emerged as a serious challenge that affects our local and national movements for justice and equality in Hawai'i and the nation.
- YOUNG VOTERS IN HAWAIʻI: People my children's age, 18 to 35-year-olds, are particularly interested in this election because they know their future is seriously threatened by the climate crisis and civil unrest based on racial discrimination. I will continue to work with our young volunteers to support candidates who respond to their future needs in the environment, education, and health care.
ABOUT MY 'OHANA AND ME
- Born in Hawaii
- Raised in Kane'ohe
- Living in Kahalu 'u
- Graduate, Mid-Pacific Institute
- B.A., Hawafi Pacific University
- Attended U.H. - Manoa
- J.D., Golden Gate University School of Law
- LL.M.- Fed. Taxation, Golden Gate University School of Law
- My father, the late Peter Aduja, was raised in Hakalau, Hawai' i, received the Congressional Gold Medal of Honor for his WWII service.
- My heritage has prepared me for this moment as my father, Peter Aduja, was the first person of color elected to public office in Hawai'i in 1954, a year before the Montgomery Bus Boycott led by Martin Luther King, Jr. Both my father and MLK, Jr., attended Boston University at the same time. I will continue in their legacy of helping our community, our State and this great nation in striving for civil rights.
- 1954, Dad won a House Seat, Territorial Legislature and served 10 years in the State House;
- 1968 ConCon Delegate
- A fishing 'ohana: Growing up we were always fishing, crabbing, clam digging, ogo & limu wawae'iole picking, catching fresh-water prawns, pole-fishing, and deep-water fishing
- Son, William, is a licensed boat captain; entrepreneur; Men's Amateur Longboard Champion 2016-2017
- Daughter, Amber Nanea, is a 4th year Biological Science/Pre-Med Student, Hawai'i Pacific University, Environmental Activist on sustainability and resilience, Miss O'ahu 2017;
- 2nd Runner-Up Miss Hawai'i 2017; Miss Paradise Hawai'i 2018
- Kupuna Caregiver for my mother, Melodie Cabalona, who was raised in Koloa, Kaua 'i, Hawai'i, small business owner of Rebecca's Puka Shells at Coral Kingdom.
DEMOCRATIC PARTY LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
Working and Making a Difference - not just holding office
- 2020 CO2 National Delegate for Sen. Bernie Sanders,
- 2018 - present, State Central Committee for District 23 (Kane'ohe, North Shore, Wahiawa, Kunia),
- 2018 - present, O'ahu County Region 9 Chair (Waiahole, Kane'ohe, Kailua, Waimanalo),
- 2019 - present State Chair, Health Committee, advocating for Medicare for All and local healthcare reforms,
- 2018 - present, Environmental Caucus Committee Chair on Human Environmental Impacts, emphasis on Red Hill Underground Fuel Storage Tanks; Pohakuloa Training Area; and Hu Honua nka Honua Ola Bioenergy Plant,
- 2019 - present, State Co-Chair, Green New Deal Committee advocating for the GND Legislative Package of 33 bills on net-zero greenhouse gases, clean air and water, green infrastructure and jobs, resilience, and sustainability,
- 2018 - present, Vice Chair, Kupuna Caucus,
- 2018 - present, Second Vice Chair, Hawaiian Affairs Caucus,
- 2018 - present, Treasurer, Women's Caucus,
- 2018 - present, Precinct President, District 48, Precinct 1,
- 2018 Platform Committee Scribe, Democratic State Convention,
- 2018, 2019 Platform Committee Co-Chair, Democratic O'ahu County Conventions,
- 2017 - 2018 Chair, O'ahu County Committee Legislative Priorities Committee,
- 2019 - 2020 Member, Legislation Committee of the State Central Committee,
- April 5, 2018 Signing ceremony for "Our Care, Our Choice" Act, HB 2739, with Gov. David Ige,
- January 20, 2009 Attended President Barack Obama's Inauguration, Washington, D.C.,
- 2008 Alternate Delegate for Barack Obama, Democratic National Convention, Denver, Colorado,
INFORMATIONAL BRIEFINGS & CANDIDATE FORUMS
- July 14, 2020, O'ahu County Democrats District 48 CANDIDATE FORUM (Waiahole - Kahalu'u
- June 24, 2020, HAWAIIAN NATIONALITY Forum on SR159 with LEON SIU and POKA LAENUI,
- June 15, 2020, O'ahu County Democrats District 50 CANDIDATES FORUM (Kailua-Kane'ohe Bay),
- June 17, 2020, O'ahu County Democrats Council District III FORUM (Ahuimanu - Kane'ohe - Waimanalo ),
- June 18, 2020, O'ahu County Democrats District 51 CANDIDATES FORUM (Kailua - Waimanalo ),
- June 5, 2020, MEDICARE FOR ALL and Hawai'i Health Authority with Reps. John Mizuno and Romy Cachola,
- May 22, 2020, MEDICARE FOR ALL and Hawai'i Health Authority with Reps. John Mizuno and Romy Cachola,
- May 8, 2020, MEDICARE FOR ALL and Hawai'i Health Authority with Reps. John Mizuno and Tina Wildberger,
- January 6, 2020, DAN GALPERN, Esq., Environmental Attorney, Advocating for Nations to sue the Carbon Majors for Damages from Sea Level Rise; Climate emergency to stop fossil fuel expansion and preserve forests as carbon sinks,
- October 24, 2019, RIGHTS OF NATURE, Kai Huschke, Esq, Environmental Attorney, and Community Environmental Defense Fund,
- October 21, 2019, HELEN JACCARD and the ship GOLDEN RULE, engaging in Environmental Direct Action by VETERANS FOR PEACE to promote Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament,
- July 17, 2019, PAUL ERYE, Hydrologist, on RED HILL UNDERGROUND FUEL STORAGE TANKS,
- July 8, 2019, POHAKULOA TRAINING AREA and the Hawai'i Supreme Court's affirmation of "Malama 'aina," with DAVID KIMO FRANKEL, Esq., attorney in Ching v. Aila. Dir. of DLNR. to compel the U.S. Dept. of Defense to clean-up post-training debris and to restore the 'aina,
- December 20, 2018, HU HONUA BIO ENERGY Plant, nka Honua Ola Bioenergy Firm regarding unbridled Greenhouse Gas Emissions from burning of trees, with Life of the Land HENRY CURTIS and LANCE COLLINS, Esq., Environmental Attorney,
- November 13, 2018, RED HILL UNDERGROUND FUEL STORAGE TANK Informational Briefing with Board of Water Supply (BWS) Manager and Chief Engineer ERNEST LAU, and ERWIN KAWATA, BWS Water Quality Program Administrator,
- August 3, 2018, District 23 CANDIDATES FORUM with candidates for U.S. Congress, Gov., Lt. Gov., Senate District 23, House District 48, and Council District II,
DEMOCRATIC PARTY VOTER REGISTRATION & ENROLLMENT DRIVES, DEMOCRATIC PARTY PARADE CONTINGENTS & REGION 9 MEETINGS
- 2020 Martin Luther King, Jr., Parade and Unity Rally,
- 2019 Pearl Harbor Day Evening Parade, (First time Democratic Party Presence),
- 2017, 2018, 2019 Kaneohe Christmas Parade, Kaneohe,
- 2019 Pride Parade,
- 2018, 2019 Kailua 4th of July Parade,
- 2020 HSTA Voter Registration and Enrollment Drives at Castle High School,
- 2020 Hawaiian Caucus Day Voter Registration and Enrollment Drive at the Hawai'i State Capitol,
- 2020 Helped fold & mailed over 7,000 Region 9 Newsletters with the help of District Chairs and Treasurer,
- 2018, 2019 Volunteered for Democratic Party at Young at Heart Kupuna Expo at the Blaisdell Center,
- 2018 Platform Committee Scribe, State Democratic Convention, (See,
- 2018, 2019 Platform Committee Co-Chair, 2018-2019 Democratic O'ahu County Conventions, (See, 2019 Platform:
- O'ahu County Committee (OCC) 18-02 RESOLUTION: Urging Hawai'i State Department of Education to provide girls' athletic facilities throughout the state to comply with Title IX of the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1972 (2018), (For OCC Resolutions see, https: / /www.oahudemocrats.org/resolutions2018.html ),
- OCC 18-05 RESOLUTION: Urging Cesspool Abatement Measures (2018),
- OCC 18-11 RESOLUTION: Urging the United States Navy to retrofit its twenty jet fuel tanks or relocate them to a location away from the aquifer (2018)
ENVIRONMENTAL & ECONOMIC JUSTICE EXPERIENCE
I bring to the National Committeewoman position STRONG ENVIRONMENTAL and ECONOMIC JUSTICE EXPERIENCE:
- Co-chair of the Green New Deal (GND) Hawai'i, of the Legislation Committee,
- GND Legislative Package based on Senator Bernie Sanders' S.Res. 59, focused on:
- Ecosystem Restoration & Management;
- Health and Human Services;
- Transportation; and
- Waste Management.
- We will continue to fight for these Progressive principles:
- Building smart power grids;
- Upgrading buildings to achieve maximum energy and water efficiency;
- Removing pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from transportation and agricultural sectors;
- Ensuring that businesses are free from unfair competition;
- Cleaning-up existing hazardous waste and abandoned sites; and
- Providing higher education,
- High-quality health care, and
- Affordable, safe, and adequate housing for all.
With these goals come:
- High-wage green jobs;
- Economic security for all;
- Investing in infrastructure and jobs;
- Ensuring clean air and water;
- Resilience to climate change;
- Healthful foods;
- Sustainable environment; and
- Promoting justice and equality.
MEDICAL EQUITY EXPERIENCE
I bring to the National Committeewoman position STRONG MEDICAL EQUITY EXPERIENCE:
As Chair of the Democratic Party of Hawai'i Health Committee, we continue to advocate for the Federal H.R. 1384, Expanded and Improved Medicare For All that would provide:
- Former District 23 State Senator (Kane'ohe to Kawela Bay),
- Spearheaded two Joint Legislative Task Forces:
- Joint Legislative Task Force on Ice and Drug Abatement with Co-chairs Sen. Colleen Hanabusa and Rep. Eric Hamakawa, and
- Joint Legislative Task Force on Waste Management and Recycling.
The Joint Legislative Task Force on Ice and Drug Abatement allowed for clean and sober homes post drug rehabilitation to avert recidivism, and other drug addiction treatment measures. Helping the well-being of those fallen victim to drugs and alcohol abuse has been one of my community passions, having previously served on the Board of Hina Mauka Rehabilitation Center and Makana Foundation, for several years.
With the Joint Legislative Task Force on Waste Management and Recycling, we meet with each county council and visited Hawai'i Island, Maui, Moloka 'i, Kaua 'i, and O'ahu to discuss ways to improve our opala disposal, diversion, recycling, and illegal dumping. As a Legislative Task Force, we visited every county dump site, non-county dumpsite, and areas prone to illegal dumping. Saving the environment has developed into one of my most important passions.
LITIGATION & LEGAL EXPERIENCE
I bring to the National Committeewoman position LITIGATION AND LEGAL EXPERIENCE IN BOTH CRIMINAL AND CIVIL TRIALS:
- Deputy Prosecutor, Robbery /Burglary Team, includes assaults with deadly weapons,
- Tried 19 jury trials from Driving Under the Influence to attempted murder,
- Legal Masters Degree in Federal Taxation (LL.M.-Tax),
- Foreclosure Attorney defending Homeowners from predatory lending practices such as:
- truth-in-lending violations,
- lending fraud,
- defective assignments,
- recharacterization of the note into securities, and
- sales of bank Notes in tranches on Wall Street as Securities,
- lack of standing
- Sole defense trial attorney and appellate attorney in U.S. Bank v. Mattos, 140 Haw. 26, 398
- P3d 615 (2017), where the Hawai'i Supreme Court reversed the Hawai'i Intermediate Court of Appeals, and ruled in favor of my clients, holding that lenders must show that they are in possession of the original bank note and any assignments before they can file a foreclosure action.
- Hawai'i Research Institute, LLC, now engaged in legal writing and research.
- 2019 - present, Board member of Americans for Democratic Action - Hawai'i, an organization once chaired nationally by the late U.S. Rep. Patsy T. Mink
- 2017 - present, Vice-Present and Board Member of FAMES-Hawai'i, an all-female Board with the mission to mentor, educate, motivate, and promote leadership development to college students and young entrepreneurs. www.fameshawaii.org
- 1999 - 2000 Board member, Kahalu'u Neighborhood Board #29
- Former Board member, National Kidney Foundation - Hawai'i
- Former Member, Rotary Club of Metropolitan Honolulu
With your support, I will help to coordinate and implement a strategy for victory in November. We can promote measures to combat COVID-19, reduce and prevent the ills of police brutality on minorities, and take steps to eliminate racism, and encourage more young people to participate in democracy and to change the tide of government through kapu aloha nonviolent direct action as we witnessed at Sherwood Forest in Waimanalo.
Let me carry your voice to the Democratic National Committee. Let me be your choice as your National Committeewoman.
Mahalo nui loa,
Text/voice: (808) 258-8889